Today’s article is about the Sanremo Cafe Racer coffee machine, by Italian company Sanremo, one of the leading coffee manufacturer. Driven by the innovation as its main characteristic, the company is focussed to every detail making its mark and standing at the forefront in the sector.
Sanremo headquarter is based in Italy, Treviso.
It’s also the official espresso machine of the 2018-2020 Coffee in Good Spirit and the World Latte Art competitions.
About the Sanremo Café Racer
The idea was to make something that looks stunning. Inspired by motorcycles, from the dashboards of each headgroup (the first and only that does this) that reminds the dashboard of the motorcycles, the customization made of leather, the tubular design and its lateral support. Obviously is not only about that: Sanremo thought about conceiving a machine that would make easier the role of baristas so to work quickly and efficiently.
And that’s what they brought to life with the Sanremo Café Racer.
The Sanremo Café Racer is a commercial coffee machine that works on volumetric, which means that every single shot that baristas make is weighed in grams.
Its sleek design with the most innovative technology and easy-to-use interface make the Café Racer a high-end commercial coffee machines along with coffee manufacturer such as La Marzocco, Kees Van Der Westen, Victoria Arduino and so on.
Designed for coffee shops with medium volume, the Café Racer aim for stability (it’s one of the most stable machines on the market), precision and efficiency when pulling shot on an everyday basis.
The attention to detail, the ergonomic use and the quality of the material (made of steel) of every single part that makes up the machine are also other key elements for the company.
- A detailed display: a lot is going on, on the display. We can check the temperature, the pressure and the water level and all of them can be programmed with a few combinations of buttons. The display also allows us to collect data (thanks to electronic sensors) such as how many coffees we have made, how much water we have consumed and dispensed. The groups can also be switched on and off at a time chosen by the user so that we can save energy by using only a group when not in a rush. Setting ordinary maintenance is another option that can be configured from the touchscreen.
- Soft electronic pre-infusion: setting different pre-infusion is key when aiming for consistency and delivering high-quality shot by shot. To do so, the Café Racer can save up to four different pre-infusion profiles with 0.1 seconds precision, four different temperatures (keep them stable with a PID within +/- 0.5 °C) and four different yields according to your recipe. That’s so cool! It’s truly useful: just think at your coffee shop that works with different single origins. With the Café Racer, you can set up to eight or twelve different recipes so different single origins or just different ratio for your black coffee and your milk-based beverage.
That’s also an important feature as it’s at this phase where we set the standards of the shop, minimising the channelling effect and the so-called phenomenon “fine migration”. This happens because when pre-infusing a flat bed of coffee, we saturate the group by expanding the coffee particles, getting ready for the extraction. It’s at this stage where we can maximise all the flavour that we are going to find in the cup.
- A separate boiler for each headgroup: not only there are two separate boilers for the brewing water and the steam of each group but there’s a dedicated boiler just over the showers to pre-heat the headgroups and so keeping the most thermal stability ever. All the parameters can be set through the app.
- Steamer for dry milk: the steam has a 0,02 bar precision thanks to an electronic pressure switch. The temperature of the steamer is always kept consistent to deliver the perfect silky micro-foam possible;
- “All in one” system: the machine gives us the possibility to work with different cup height (from 6oz to 16oz cups) simply by adjusting the tray;
- Auto-on/auto-off and day off feature: you can turn on/off your machine at a scheduled time for a short period and also for an entire day. I wouldn’t suggest to turn off a machine for more than one day. When a machine is turned off, the heavier compounds such as magnesium and calcium are deposited building up limescale.
How to choose the perfect commercial espresso machines
Choosing the right espresso machine is always a hard task. You need to make sure you are going to spend money on good value. One of the key things to consider when buying an espresso machine is about consistency.
I always say in most of the previous article about espresso machines review about how important is to buy a machine that ensures consistent thermal stability throughout the day without pressure drops.
It’s not only that: another key thing to consider is about making sure that the brand you are going to buy is as closest as possible to your coffee shop which means that you can call them and ask for prompt technical assistance. Imagine a day in where your machine suddenly shuts down (and it always happen in a busy time) and you cannot fix the situation by yourself. You need someone that can come ideally in less than half an hour.
The Sanremo Café Racer comes in two or three groups. The capacity of the steam boiler is 8 and 10 litres respectively while the capacity of the coffee boiler is 1 and 1,5 litres for the two and three groups.
According to your taste, the Café Racer comes in three different models: the Naked with a black or steel finishes, the Freedom with a black or steel chassis and the Custom in which there are several customization you can choose from such as the White & Wood or the total black Dolomiti. The two group machine is for sale from £12,000.
I am an Italian coffee lover that pushed for the love of this “amazing drug” decided to come to London to study about coffee and its different extraction procedures and tastes.