Introduction to Coffee Scales
If you are interested in brewing coffee at home, then you need to invest in proper coffee scales, no matter how skilled you are. Most of the people have been using a spoon or scoop to measure out the grams needed.
However, these measurements are not just wrong but also inconvenient and, in one way or the other, cannot guarantee you any decent result. Brewing good coffee must not be taken for granted: it’s quite a scientific approach, made up of data, formulas, ratios and so on.
Well, we are not going that deep today, but to put it simply, you are never going to extract a decent coffee without using a proper scale. Many coffee scales are available in the coffee market. In this guide, we will consider various coffee scales which you can purchase from any coffee shop’s website:
1 – Acaia Pearl Scale
It has been designed perfectly to meet the demand of the coffee enthusiast. It monitors the weight, time while you are brewing the coffee. You can also connect the scale with the Acaia App on your smartphone to record your brews and have a look at more parameters. It has transformed the coffee brewing experiences to many users.
Its features include:
- It’s fast since it comes with 20 ms response time.
- It’s more accurate and sensitive than its competitors, with readability up to 0.1 g.
- It’s fitted with a dual-display of both weight and time to enhance tracking.
- It comes with a lithium-ion battery which can be charged via USB
- The battery life is between 20- 30 hours.
- It has Bluetooth 4.0 connectivity.
- Build-in Stopwatch to track every single part of the brewing.
The Coffee Gator scale is sold for $140 and it comes in white or black.
2 – Acaia Lunar
The scale is designed especially for brewing espressos so that it can fit over the drip tray. In addition to that, it’s built with anodized aluminium, which makes the scale more durable than others. Its electronic parts are water-resistant to prevent any damage caused during work shifts. Also, to note is that the accessories are sold separately, such as the Lunar Weighing Plate.
The Lunar scale has the following features:
- It’s water-resistant and durable against coffee shop wear and tear.
- Its accuracy and sensitivity are as good as the Pearl version. It has a resolution of up to 0.0g1 and readability up to 0.1g. Due to this feature, it’s very sensitive to weight changes.
- It has in-built auto modes, and therefore it can automatically start, stop, and tare.
- It’s rechargeable with USB, and the battery life can last between 20- 30 hours.
- It’s compatible with the mobile app through Bluetooth connectivity.
- The firmware is updated thanks to the (free) Lunar Updater App.
- It comes with a two-year limited manufacturer warranty.
The Acaia Lunar scale is sold for $225 and it comes in white or black.
3 – Brewista Smart scale II
The Brewista Smart coffee scales are suitable for both the beginner and the professional user. It is a smart scale which has been redesigned to meets the need of the coffee users. It’s more water-resistant than the previous model with its sealed body and its silicone platform pad.
It has the following features:
- The accuracy has been improved up to 0.1 g, which helps to brew the coffee or espresso with good precision.
- It has six brewing modes indicated by a number; a fully manual mode, 4 different espresso modes and a pour-over mode;
- It has a capacity of 200 grams (70 ounces)
- It’s relatively small and portable, a bit lighter than the previous model;
- It has no-removable 1000mAh battery (which is a bit annoying)
The Brewista Smart Scale II is sold for $89.
4 – Hario Scale
Welcome back to the basics. The Hario scale was one of the first company that introduced coffee scales. So, expect from this scale all the essentials that need to brew great coffee at home. I still own one for my brews.
Here are the features:
- Integrated timer for keep monitoring your brews;
- It has an auto-shutoff when it turns off in five minutes after being inactive (while the timer is off);
- It is sleek and made of good quality;
- It is compact and large enough for most of the brewers
- It’s an affordable scale which can complement your set with the Hario V60
It’s minimal and elegant at the same time. And it’s the best option you can get for what it cost. The Hario Scale is sold for $45.
5 – Timemore Black Mirror
The Black Mirror combines smart functions with minimal design. It features the two-weight sensors, and therefore, it makes it possible to measure the water and also the weight of the coffee (yield). In case you’re a numbers lover, this scale is the one you may need on your kitchen.
It has the following features:
- It has a built-in sensor which helps you to calculate the extraction yield. It has 0.1 g level of accuracy and, therefore, the maximum capacity of 2000 g, which makes it possible to be used with other devices. On the other hand, the maximum yield is 1000g.
- It’s chargeable with USB with a 1600mAh battery which can last up to 7 hours.
- It’s connected with the Smart Phone Apps through the Bluetooth connectivity;
This scale is not ideal for beginners or just doesn’t meet their needs.
The scale is on sale for 18€
6 – Felicita Arc Scale
It is considered as one the best espresso scale due to the features that come with it. It’s big enough to allow the portafilter to sits on top. And thus, it can fit in the espresso machine. It has quality features buts it’s relatively affordable and therefore making it a choice for many.
Its features include:
- It has a precision of 0.1g with a total capacity of 2000g.
- It can connect with the IPad or smartphone via Bluetooth.
- It has different modes you can choose from to brew your coffee.
- It has a touch display which enhances its usability
- It pretty light which makes it relatively easier to be carried around.
- It’s chargeable through the US cable
- It’s fully waterproof
The Felicita Arc Sale is on sale for £120
7 – Coffee Gator
It’s a multi-purpose scale designed to suit the needs of the coffee brewers and, therefore, gets a fantastic coffee cup every single time.
Here are the key features of the scale:
- It’s accurate to 0,003 oz to a max capacity of 6.6 lb which makes it work also for other needs;
- Measurements come with both metric and imperial units;
- It has the 100% satisfaction guarantee: if you’re not happy with the scale you can return it within 30 days.
This scale is made for the one that doesn’t want to invest enough money but wants to be sure he’s not going to be disappointed.
The Coffee Gator scale is on sale for $25.
8 – Huismart Digital Scale
It’s a perfect digital scale that comes with key features to enables to brew amazing coffee. It’s cost-effective, and this makes it relatively suitable for different people’s needs in the market. It can also be used for kitchen needs as the Coffee Gator scale, which makes it suitable for multi-purpose
Its key features include:
- It has two main modes, which are weight and timer.
- It has an improved level of accuracy; therefore, you can read with LCD and Blue Backlight.
- It has a sleek design with a Hanger hole and mat, which makes it easy to clean it
- It has an auto power-off where it switches off within four minutes, which helps to save battery.
- It has an overload indication were it gives you an alert when it’s overloaded.
Each of the coffee scales has been designed uniquely to meets the demands of the brewers. However, the most favourite scales which we can highly recommend is the Acaia pearl scale due to the features which the scale comes with. It has boosted the usual features, making it possible for the scale to best fit for brewing coffee.
I am an Italian coffee lover that pushed for the love of this “amazing drug” decided to come to London to study about coffee and its different extraction procedures and tastes.